A fire is a rapid persistent chemical change that releases heat and light and is accompanied by flame, especially the exothermic oxidation of a combustible substance.
What you can do yourself
Before a huge fire:
- Make sure you know the evacuation plan at work or in other buildings that you often visit. If they do not have an emergency plan at work, contact the fire department to make one together.
During a huge fire:
- Help children and the disabled to leave the building as quickly as possible.
- If you can hardly see in the smoke, try to stay low on the floor.
- Wet some cloths to put in your noses and mouths.
- Close all windows and doors behind you.
- Call 911 if the fire department is not warned yet.
- Do not use the lift. The stairs are safer.
- If you cannot leave the building anymore, stand next to a window overlooking the street so the fire brigade can see you.
- Never go back to a building on fire.
Fire on Curacao
What can you do yourself
What does the government do